Happy New Year! I recognise that for many of us the current challenges we face both personally and globally can seem incredibly disheartening, and I don’t intend to make light of all we’re facing.
As I see it, the reality is this.
There’s much we cannot control in our outer world – but there is some good news.
We can positively influence our inner world.
To help us do so, I’ve come up with 17 bite-size pieces of wisdom that have helped me over the years. I hope they help you too.
1. Happiness is a by-product of living life well. It’s not a destination.
2. The serious stuff that screws up your life could ultimately be the best thing to have happened to you.
3. Focus on serving something greater than yourself.
4. Enjoyment doesn’t always have to be connected to achievement.
5. Be careful. You can have success without fulfillment.
6. Seeds of self doubt will inevitably spring up. But you don’t have to water them.
7. Back yourself more often. And remember: You can teach an old dog new tricks.
8. We’re flawed beauty. Despite messing up, we are still bloody amazing.
9. To be at your best, you need to rest. Rest isn’t work’s opposite – it’s work’s partner.
10. Be careful you don’t allow your brain to filter the positives into your spam folder.
11. Every day is a ‘choose-day’. Your daily decisions, however small and insignificant they seem, do make a difference over time.
12. Resilience isn’t simply your ability to recover from a fall – it’s understanding why you fell in the first place.
13. Elvis had a point – ‘a little less conversation and a little more action.’
14. Exercise energises you. Stand Up, Move Often. (See what I did there?)
15. Knock the pursuit of perfection off its pedestal.
16. Words create worlds. So be really careful what you say to yourself.
17. Treat yourself well and cherish others.
Do let me know which ones are especially helpful for you right now.
Wishing you well, and hoping SUMO continues to make a difference.
The SUMO Guy