I’ve been on this planet nearly 60 years and made multiple mistakes. Let me share 12 insights that I believe will genuinely help you in 2023. It’ll take you less than 2 minutes to read.
I might even add a bonus at the end 😉
1. Remember, the only real apology is changed behaviour. Words are cheap. Actions are priceless.
2. The best gift you can give someone is your undivided attention. Aim to do it at least once a day with a partner, child, friend, or colleague. Listen to understand rather than waiting for your turn to talk.
3. When you’re communicating with others your aim is to be clear, not clever. The smartest thing to do is to get to your point.
4. People who never take a break end up breaking. Remember, to be at your best you need to rest.
5. Sometimes it’s best to walk away from conflict. When you wrestle a pig in mud you both get dirty. But the pig enjoys it.
6. Avoid making a mountain of assumptions based on a molehill of evidence. Seek the story, not the snapshot.
7. Consistency compounds. Small steps are no small thing. Little things matter. Never forget that. (Inspired by my mate Rob Wall.)
8. The opposite of love is not hate – it’s indifference. Relationships don’t magically happen. They take work. And time.
9. Every day we wake up with a choice. We can focus on what to grumble about or focus on what to be grateful for. The choice you make will influence how your day unfolds. Choose wisely.
10. If you don’t make time for your wellness you may be forced to make time for your illness. Let me be clear… I’m aware some of us are unfortunate to suffer serious health challenges that are out of our control. Not all health issues are related to lifestyle, but some are.
11. Beware of making a long-term decision based on a short-term emotion. Press pause. Give yourself time to process stuff, and talk things through with others.
12. Remember, a comfort zone is a nice place to be – but nothing grows there. It’s easy to become set in our ways, so challenge yourself to do something different. That’s where the growth is. And you never know, you might end up enjoying it.
13. What we say at funerals we should say at birthday parties.
Which ones resonate most with you?
Until next time.
The SUMO Guy